What is thanksgiving in the life of a believer? Is it a prayer before your meal? Is it saying thank you when someone does an act of kindness? Thanksgiving is more than simply saying the words “thank you;” thanksgiving is part of a lifestyle. Primarily, in the life of a believer, thanksgiving is a grateful response to GOD for all he is and does.Thanksgiving is a part of worship an of holy living; it is part of a life devoted to GOD. Here are seven examples of thanksgiving in the life of believers. I pray that as you read them, your day will be filled with thanksgiving toward GOD.
It is part of a devoted prayer life.
- Colossians 3:2 Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.
- 1 Timothy 1:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,
It is a part of a Spirit controlled life.
- Ephesians 5: 18-20 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, 20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
It is the attitude that replaces anxiousness and precedes peace.
- Philippians 4: 6-7 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Thankful speech takes the place of evil speech.
- Ephesians 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
It is part of an individuals outcry of worship.
- Psalm 106:1 Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
It is a part of corporate worship as well.
- Ezra 3:11 And they sang responsively, praising and giving thanks to the LORD, “For he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever toward Israel.” And all the people shouted with a great shout when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.
It is a part of a life of righteous living, evangelism, and encouragement.
- Psalm 26:6-7 6 I wash my hands in innocence and go around your altar, O LORD, 7 proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, and telling all your wondrous deeds.
- Luke 2: 37-38 37 and then as a widow until she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day. 38 And coming up at that very hour she began to give thanks to God and to speak of him to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem.
- Acts 27:35-36 35 And when he had said these things, he took bread, and giving thanks to God in the presence of all he broke it and began to eat. 36 Then they all were encouraged and ate some food themselves.
- What are you thankful for? Leave a comment!