Cusick is an ordained minister, spiritual director, and Licensed Professional Counselor at Restoring the Soul ministries in Golden, Colorado. In his book, Surfing for GOD, Cusick gives some disheartening statistics:
* 25% of search engine requests are for pornography – 68 million per day
* 70% of the hits on Internet sex sites occur between 9-5 on business computers
* Over 50 percent of evangelical pastors report they viewed pornography last year
* Over 70% of Christian men report viewing pornography in the last year
He also shares his own story of struggle with lust, pornography, illicit sex, and infidelity. The good news is that the story does not end there. Cusick unfolds how he gained victory over the power of sexual sin in his life through the soul changing power of Jesus Christ, and shares how you can also do the same if you struggle with the same pitfalls.
Honestly, this is not the most thrilling read, and some parts of the book don’t seem to add much to the overall goal of the book, yet there are some really important spiritual concepts in this book that are important for those who struggle with sexual addiction to grasp if they are to be freed from their addictions.
“Cusick Talks” helps explain the Spiritual, emotional, and physiological aspects of this deadly addiction. As one who studies science, I was delighted to see Cusick address and integrate the physiological basis for addiction with the spiritual warfare aspect. The book’s overall theme deals with the following concepts:
• Understanding the root issues as to why [people] struggle with porn.
• Recognizing the empty promises that porn has made to [them] and knowing [their] God-given desires for which porn is [an inadequate] substitute.
• Owning [their] personal brokenness and resisting shame’s grip on [their] soul[s].
• Uncovering the lies [they] believe and living out [their] good heart[s].
• Learning how to care for [their] own soul[s] [through GOD].
I feel the books approach is both pragmatic and Biblical, but should point out that I found flaw in his biblical reasoning in one section: Chapter 9 “Demolishing foot holds and strongholds in your life”. Here he either does a poor job of explaining his concepts or is simply errant in his exegesis.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
A free resource for those who are struggling with addiction of any kind and are looking for spiritual mentorship and help breaking the cycle of addiction can find help at http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com